Road Rules and Regulations
Information on the main rules of the road when driving in Malaysia...
The minimum legal age to drive a car is 17 for a car and 16 for a motorcycle.
All vehicle drivers are responsible for the safety of their passengers and other road users. The main road regulations are:
- Drive on the left in Malaysia and overtake on the right
- A vehicle's road tax tag must be prominently displayed on the windscreen and be valid at the time of use of the vehicle
- Car registration plates must be displayed and in good condition
- All lighting functions must work and the car must be in good working condition
- Car insurance must be valid
- Front seat belts must be worn at all times while driving
- A driving licence must be carried at all times and must be shown on request to police or at a Road Transport Department check point
- Drink driving and driving while under the influence of prohibited drugs are serious offences and are subject to strict penalties, including jail terms
Drink driving and driving under the influence of banned substances carry heavy penalties in Malaysia. A driver is considered to be driving under the influence of alcohol in Malaysia if the blood/alcohol level is equal to or over 0.8 grams per litre (g/l).
To test for drink driving, the driver is given a breathalyser test. To test for substance abuse, the driver is required to do a urine test. The results are then tested in a booth, which forms part of the frequent roadblocks that the police and Road Transport Department conduct in cities.
The penalty for the offender is a fine, a court case, and sentencing with a fine and imprisonment of three months to a year depending on the severity of the offence. Offenders have their passport number registered in the Immigration Department's records, which affects future entry into Malaysia.
If you need to send money overseas Moneycorp, the exchange experts, can help you make your money... Find out more...
For over two decades, Citibank IPB Singapore has helped international clients diversify and... Find out more...